25.11.13

Remember

Remember by Christina Rossetti (if anyone still cares, I wasn't thinking about death).

Remember me when I am gone away,
  Gone far away into the silent land;
  When you can no more held me by the hand
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
  You tell me of our future that you planned:
  Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
  And afterwards remember, do not grieve.
  For if the darkness and corruption leave
  A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
  Than that you should remember and be sad.

~~


Remembering is a humanly function sometimes I wish I couldn't operate. Like when I was doing something fun and suddenly remembered that I have homework to do. Or when I was perfectly happy then I remembered I did such an embarrassing thing. And when I was ok and I remembered I was really stupid.

But ok, just sometimes.

Sometimes it feels good to remember that I know a lot of good people. And it's good to remember that I've been to lovely places. And it's always good to remember that love's around the corner.

Oh I hate that phrase.

But it's the things I relate to that I hate, all from remembering. Though sometimes it's also unpleasant when I can't remember things when I have to. Like when I couldn't remember where I parked my car.
Or when I couldn't remember when the last time I went to the dentist. Also when I couldn't remember what the answer to the question was.

Apart from that,

I have to remember that forgetting is also a humanly function that plays the same role. Only when it hurts to remember or to forget will I realise the value of them.

No comments: